Saturday, March 30, 2013

"He does not just give us fish, but teaches us how to fish!"

                                                                                                                               March 26, 2013
Hola mi familia!!!! I love you all so much! Thank you for your sweet letters and notes. They mean so much and are such a strength to me. 

 Everything is going great! We are progressing with our investigators and learning how to teach with unity in our companionships and keep the investigator involved by asking questions and switching off teaching, and sharing scriptures. I love learning! Are you all excited for Easter? I have a challenge for all of you. If you still have a copy of Jesus The Christ, I invite you to study as a family the last week of the Savior's life. I love learning about the Savior and everything He has done for us, and when we study His life, we grow closer to Him, receive more faith and love for Him, and we want to serve Him more by serving others. '

There are a few stories I want to share from this week. This week I learned that when it comes to our struggles, the Lord does not just take them away. He does not just give us fish, He teaches us how to fish, so that we can be sustained with His help, and then become fishers of men. I have been learning this for a while, but the Lord is very patient with me in teaching me how to help others. Last night, we had an opportunity to teach a TRC lesson. Instead of two twenty minute lessons, we had one forty minute lesson. We prayed to know what to teach about, but we were suppose to base our lesson on how to find revelation through the Book of Mormon. As we began teaching a sweet lady from Columbia named Maria, we found that she already knew a lot about receiving revelation from the Book of Mormon. We kept sharing our experiences and testifying about the power of revelation from the Book of Mormon, but then I felt prompted to ask when was a time in her life when she received direct revelation from the Book of Mormon. She shared a scripture that she opened to and saw right away one day when she was struggling. It was 2 Nephi 31:20 which talks about Enduring to the end. My companions each spoke and were both prompted to talk about enduring to the end. Then a scripture came to my mind that I have read that same morning. D&C 78:18. It wasn't from the Book of Mormon and for a second I thought, this is from D&C it has nothing to do with what our lesson is on, but I felt like I needed to share it with her so I did. It is a scripture that brings me much comfort because as members of the Church we have already taken all of the steps, and now we just need to endure to the end. I challenge you to read it. It is inspired! After I shared it with her, she thanked me warmly for the scripture and I could tell she was more touched than she had been before. Then my sweet inspired companion Hermana Peterson felt like we needed to sing Nearer My God to then in Spanish. We did and as we sung, the Spirit filled the whole room, and Maria began to cry. After, we felt like we needed to testify of the love that the Savior has for her, and my other companion Hermana Taylor, who is just as in tune with the Spirit, testified to her that the Lord was happy with her decisions. Sister Peterson ended the lesson with a prayer for Maria and her family, and the Spirit was so strong, We each hugged her and had loved her from the beginning of the lesson. I cannot descibe the gratitude that I feel to be able to be an instrument in the Lord's hands in touching the hearts of His brothers and sisters and bringing them closer to Him. The greatest thing we can do is testify of the Savior's love because that is what everyone yearns to feel. I know that this is the true church of Jesus Christ and that this is His work. I know that He lives! His hand is in every aspect of our lives and He will help us through anything. I love you all, and hope you will join me this Easter week in remembering the Savior even more, reflecting on His life and mission, and doing our best to be worthy to lift others and bring them unto Him. I hope you have a great Spring Break! I am very jealous, but this is where I am suppose to be! Take care, and I will talk to you soon!

 

Con todo mi amor,

Hermana Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment