Sunday, September 22, 2013

Lemon Squares and Lessons Learned

                                                                                                                  Sept. 2, 2013
Hola mi familia!!! How are you! Thank you all for your sweet emails!

This week has been hard. We are having difficulty finding new people to teach and so that is what we fasted for on Sunday. But part of fasting, is doing all you can to prove that you are worthy to receive the blessings you need. We didn´t feel like we did that last night, but we are so grateful for repentance and the opportunity to change. This week is going to be so much better as we talk to everyone, and do all we can to serve and find people to teach. If we prove ourselves to the Lord, He will trust us and know that we are ready to teach those who are prepared. I am excited for a new week to work harder, and be better with the Lord´s help.

This week we taught two investigators--Josue and Paul.  We invited Josue to baptism and he knows this is what he needs to do, but he doesn´t want to feel rushed so he didn´t accept the date. He said he would pray about it and tonight we are going to teach him and verify if he received an answer. But he came to church yesterday!!! Paul seems to be progressing well. We have a noche de hogar, or family home evening tonight with him and his family and he is going to invite his girl friend. It will be so fun. Please keep praying for Josue and Paul! They are both progressing wonderfully so I know that the Lord is answering all of your prayers and ours as well. Also, please pray for Elizabeth. She feels the Spirit in our lessons, and I think she wants to be baptized but she is really evangelical and doesn´t agree with some of the things in the church and has a lot of questions. She wants to know that it is true and have answers to her questions, which we promised she could receive through pray to her Heavenly Father.  Please pray that she will have the desire to pray about the truth and ask God all her questions. I think she is afraid to pray and know that it is all true :)  

Today we had a zone activity at the beach! We played volleyball, ate shish kabobs. and also something called Churipan. It is sausage inside of bread. Kind of like pigs in a blanket. It was really good, and I had the wonderful responsibility of making an American dessert for 16 missionaries. I found an amazing recipe book in our apartment that I think one of the elders left. I decided to make lemon squares! I made 2 batches of lemon squares and they turned out pretty good! Who knew I would be doing that in Chile! it was hard to find time to make them in the little free time i have as a missionary, but I was able to do it!  The activity was really great and I took some cool pictures that I will have to send next week.
 
Ok, now that I mentioned the lemon squares, it is time to talk about the lessons learned. This week we contacted different houses, and sometimes we contact people who don´t believe in God. In this instance we contacted a man who didn´t believe in God, and he talked to us for a while. I didn´t want to argue, and i didn´t want to listen, i just wanted to leave in this instance and so i watched as my companion testified that she knew that God lived. Afterwards we were walking away, and she said why didn´t you say anything. I felt so bad because I had had ideas come into my mind that I know were from the Spirit and I didn´t open my mouth. She then told me a story about how she had had a teacher once who didn´t believe in God and was arguing about it. She was with her friend and her friend defended God and shared her testimony that she knew that He lived, but my companion didn´t open her mouth. She said that she felt horrible and from that day she promised that she would always bear her testimony to those who don´t believe in God because that is all we can do, and testimonies are powerful. I am so grateful for the example of my companion. Now and forever I will always share my testimony and defend God because I know that He lives. I know that our Savior lives!! I have received a witness from the Spirit that this is true. I will never remain silent ever again. I will always defend our Heavenly Father and our Savior because I know that They live! People can argue with all the logic in the world, but that will not weaken my faith, and the witness I have received from the Spirit. We must walk by faith in this world, but faith is stronger than anything. I am grateful for the Savior and for the forgiveness that we can receive from our Heavenly Father through Him. I am grateful that I can repent for not opening my mouth, as I go forth now and testify of them in every moment. I am grateful for the lesson I learned this week, and I challenge everyone to do the same. I challenge everyone to promise that they will always defend Heavenly Father and the Savior and bear testimony of them when others say bad things about them. We must be firm in our testimonies and unshaken in our faith.  
 
This week we also had a conference with Elder Gonzalez of the 70. He talked about the 3 aspects of missionary work. Bautismo, retencion, and reactivacion. Baptize, retain, and reactivate. We have brothers and sisters in all three of these areas who need to hear our testimonies of our Heavenly Father and our Savior. Without us they might not have the opportunity to accept and live the gospel in this life, and if they don´t the price might be their salvation. This week I was thinking a lot about how sometimes i worry a ton about the health and safety of others, and how horrible it would be if they died. But think about how horrible it will be if they die spiritually. Protecting them spiritually and helping them obtain salvation is so much more important, because death is part of the plan. Everyone will die, but we need to make sure that no one will die spiritually. we want all of our brothers and sisters to be there with us partaking of the Salvation that our Heavenly Father and Savior offer us. Our brothers and sisters who don´t have the gospel now, those who have been barely been baptized, and need to receive strong testimonies to remain firmly in the church, and those who have become inactive and left the church. Everyone is important and we need to work hard in each of these areas. The members can help by visiting investigators, new converts, and less actives with the missionaries. We must be friends to everyone and make sure they all feel welcome in the church, have a social conversion, a spiritual conversion, and a calling. These are just a few of the lessons that I learned this week! I am excited to learn more and to share with you the things that I am trying to implement into my life! I love you all and hope you have an amazing week full of adventure and miracles. Love you all so much!!! Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment